Your bowel is made up of leftovers after your digestive system has its portion of nutrients. There are moments when your bowel movement isn’t normal. There could be different factors responsible behind this scenario and they are:
- When your bowel makes a quick exit from the large intestine, there are chances that you may have developed diarrhea.
- And when portions of the small intestine are removed, this case is of short bowel syndrome. It is a condition when your body becomes incapable to absorb nutrients from the food you eat because you don’t have proper functional small intestine.
Causes of Short Bowel Syndrome
Short bowel syndrome occurs in the following circumstances:
- When the portions of your small intestine are surgically removed. It may also lead to some severe conditions including Crohn’s disease, the formation of blood clots in arteries, cancer or some other injuries.
- When the portions of your small intestine are damaged or missing by birth. If it is damaged by birth, then it has to be surgically removed as well.
Role of Gastroenterologist in treating Short Bowel Syndrome
If you learn that you have developed short bowel syndrome, then you need to consult the best gastroenterologist in India as soon as possible. Your doctor may guide you to have right amount of nutrition and eventually, you can lead a healthy, normal life. All you need to do is stick to your treatment plan recommended by your doctor.
Request an appointment with one of the top 10 gastroenterologists in India via Vaidam Health!
- Dr. (Col.) V.K. Gupta: Dr. V.K. Gupta is one of the best doctors in India with more than 33 years of clinical experience in his field of specialization. He is currently associated with Max Super Speciality Hospital Shalimar Bagh. He has pursued MBBS, MD followed by DM in his field. He has his name in Guinness Book of World Records for being the Consultant physician on a mobile hospital for the longest duration – from August 1997 to January 1998. He is known to have performed the highest number of Gastrointestinal and hepatobiliary endoscopic interventions in Armed Forces till now. His field of expertise includes Hepatitis treatment, Gastric Ulcer treatment, Pancreatic disease, Colonoscopy, ERCP treatment and more.
- Dr. Vivek Raj: Dr. Vivek Raj is one of the well-known and leading Surgical Gastroenterologist with 24 years of vast and wide experience in his field of specialization. He is currently associated as a Director at Max Super Speciality Hospital Gurgaon. His special interest lies in ERCP, Colonoscopy and several liver diseases. He specializes in inflammatory bowel disease, Hepatology including Hepatitis B&C, Gastrointestinal motility and Capsule Endoscopy.
- Dr. Yogesh Batra: Dr. Yogesh Batra is a demanding and well-respected physician who is currently associated as a Senior Consultant and Head of Gastroenterology & Hepatology Department at BLK Super Speciality Hospital New Delhi. He has over 17 years of experience in the field of Liver Transplantation. His special interest includes transplant hepatology, Therapeutic Endoscopy, Endoscopic ultrasound. He was previously associated with Batra Hospital, Holy Family Hospital, Sir Ganga Ram Hospital and All India Institute of Medical Sciences New Delhi.
- Dr. Rakesh Aga: Dr. Rakesh Aga is a highly-qualified and well-experienced doctor with more than 29 years of experience in the field of Gastroenterology, Hepatology and Therapeutic Endoscopy. He is currently associated with Max Hospital Gurgaon. He is an active member of various prestigious organizations including the American Gastroenterology Association, British Society of Gastroenterology, Indian Society of Gastroenterology, and Society of GI Endoscopy of India.
- Dr. Prasanna Kumar Reddy: Dr. Prasanna Kumar Reddy is a dynamic surgical gastroenterologist with 47 years of clinical experience He was awarded for completing 25 years at Apollo Hospitals Chennai. He has played an instrumental role in establishing GI unit and Advanced Apollo Hospitals at Apollo Hospitals Chennai. He has several papers and publications to his credit. He specializes in Gastritis treatment, Laser Piles Treatment, Hepato-Biliary-Pancreatic Surgery and Stapled Haemorrhoidectomy.
- Dr. Subhash Gupta: Dr. Subhash Gupta is the most demanding liver transplant/hepato-pancreato-biliary surgeon with 37+ years of experience. He has carried out more than 300 living donor transplants in 2013. He has many awards to his credit including The Honorary Professor of Kazakistan, BC Roy Award, Gold Medal by Delhi Medical Association, Yash Bharti Award and Vishist Chikitsh Rattan. He is currently associated with Max Super Speciality Hospital New Delhi.
- Dr. Neelam Mohan: Dr. Neelam Mohan is a Director of Gastroenterology & Hepatology department at Medanta the Medicity Gurgaon. She has more than 21 years of experience in her field of specialization. She has bagged a fellowship from the American College of Gastroenterology and FIAP award by the Indian Medical Association. She has more than 180 papers and publications to her credit.
- Dr. (Prof) Nirmal Kumar: Dr. Nirmal Kumar is a dynamic and renowned physician with more than 37 years of experience. He has bagged several awards and medals to his credit including Distinguished Teacher Award of Delhi Medical Association, Smt. PK Jain Oration Award, State Award for Service Doctors by Govt. of NCT of Delhi, etc. He has more than 70 publications in national and international journals.
- Dr. Rakesh Tandon: Dr. Rakesh Tandon is one of the best and well-known physicians who is currently associated as a head of Gastroenterology Department at Pushwapati Singhania Research Institute, New Delhi. His area of expertise lies in the treatment of chronic pancreatitis using different types of endoscopic interventions.
- Dr. Vaithiswaran V.: Dr. Vaithiswaran V. is a well-experienced doctor with more than 12 years of clinical experience in Minimally invasive surgery- basic and advanced laparoscopy- laparoscopic GI oncology and bariatric surgery. He currently practices as a Head and Senior Consultant of Surgical Gastroenterology Department at Global Hospitals Chennai. He has received the ‘Best Paper Award’ in 2010.